Sunday, August 13, 2017

Cabo San Lucas

I originally planned to go to Puerto Vallarta but ended up going to Cabo which was fine because I had a great time. It was short and sweet but for the amount of time I was there, I met an exciting bunch of varying personalities and took advantage of how cheap the food was.

Before going I was slightly nervous because although I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, I think the best I can do is count to 20 and simple words I absorbed from watching Dora the Explorer. Then I realized it was Cabo and from hearing so many stories of it being a tourist trap turned out to be true. Including room, I spent less than $100 my two days there there which was amazing.

Despite loving traveling by myself, I'll admit I have my moments of weakness where I'll miss my boyfriend a lot. Cabo was definitely a place where I felt lonely immediately arriving because most travelers consist of families and couples. Standing in line waiting to pass customs felt quite lonely. And Cabo was so different for me compared to other places because it is constantly hectic. As soon as I went through baggage claim, there was a huge room of various rental car companies. There was just so much noise. Everyone was waving me over and coming to approach me so I was a little bit in shock – imagine a bunch of cameras with flash on going off. It felt just like this.

I decided on taking a shuttle to where I was staying ($17 for the shuttle) and it was a fully packed shuttle. I had a married couple who sat next to me who were very sassy and complained for the first part of the ride on how cramped it was. For the price, I could care less compared to $150 for a private taxi ride. My hostel was the last stop after 7 resorts/hotels. I stayed at Baja Cactus Hostel which was around $12-$14 for the night.

I settled in and quickly set out to eat some tacos. I ate about 9 tacos during my trip. Tacos in Cabo have ruined me. I've never been as satisfied with a taco ever since. It was funny because the first restaurant I went to, the waiter was so impressed on how quickly I could order. He was handing me an English menu when I ordered. I laughed and told him, the only Spanish I know are the names of taco meats (pastor, asada, lengua, carnitas, etc.) I am well versed in the language of taco.

3 tacos, a beer, and flan for dessert...$8. Insanity. I still shake my head to today when I think about it. It's just so incredible to me when 2 mediocre tacos here can be $8 already.








I strolled down to the beach and pier. I went in and out of shops. One thing I really didn't like is the constant hassling. Cabo's economy largely depends on tourism so the lot of workers aim to make money off of tourists. I understand it was the culture of it and just having no shame with trying to make money. I would've just liked it more if I could walk 5 steps without someone trying to sell me something. Almost all of the little shops sold the same kinds of souvenirs anyway but pay attention because prices do vary. I was able to bargain and saved $15 on a backpack!

I tried Mexican coconut which was young coconut with chamoy, lemon and tajin. I would drink the juice first then the server would come to take it back to cut. Of course the waterfront had a ton of tourists so I understand Cabo isn't somewhere I would gain an authentic Mexican experience unless I lived more locally.




Back at the hostel, I made friends with an Australian girl and another girl who worked at the hostel. I'll admit I always remember where the ones with accents are from but others from the U.S. I can't seem to remember which state. We watched Judge Judy together in the common area as I cuddled the hostel's pet dog. Afterwards, I took a walk with the girl from Australia and we became fast friends sharing funny stories. I was really set on having some ice cream and the closest thing I could find for soft-serve was unfortunately Ghirardelli which I have where I live so a little disappointed it wasn't somewhere local. Then we went to buy beer and candy. I got about a dozen of these strawberry tamarind candies and came back the following day to take for the way home.

When we came back, it felt like a sleepover party. Myself and 8 others were all in our beds guys and girls mixed talking and teasing one another. We all talked for about 2 hours before deciding to turn off the lights. I was especially teased for being so gullible and not having been inside of a club. They tricked me into believing there was a designated hostel worker only for turning on and off lights. So I was waiting for a man to come tell us to go to bed which just sounds ridiculous now that I'm writing this.




I woke up early to go to the waterfront to take a water taxi ($20) to see the Arch of Cabo San Lucas. There was some conflict because the waves were a bit too rocky so my person cancelled but then found another boat that was going out so I joined them instead. Unfortunately, the maritime police did send us back to dock. So I took my refund and went for some tacos. Then came back to the hostel to have breakfast with everyone on the rooftop. Filled with laughter and sunburnt shoulders, it was a good time.

Until next time, the best al pastor tacos I've ever had in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment