Sunday, August 13, 2017

California Camping

Do you see the bats? Did you hear the coyote? Wake up, there's a raccoon! 
I'm sure I fell harder in love with my boyfriend after going camping with him. I always smile thinking of how excited he gets to point out wildlife to me because I'm honestly so oblivious when it comes to spotting things and would never catch sight of anything if it weren't for him unless it's like directly placed in front of me. Sharing the same excitement over seeing and hearing wildlife is one of my favorite things we do together. I saw a roadrunner for the first time! Brought back some nostalgia for the Wild E. Coyote cartoons I used to watch all the time as a child.



It was his first time going to Yosemite National Park and my second. My first ever solo trip actually was to Yosemite. For my 18th birthday, I booked a train ticket for myself and stayed at my first ever hostel – The Yosemite Bug. We decided to go last minute so of course, there were no campgrounds available in Yosemite. Campground reservations open months in advance and go away quickly so definitely for a longer trip, you should plan ahead and book early. The closest campsite I could find was in Inyo National Forest. It was a great spot and wasn't too bad – just an hour away from Yosemite.

In the very beginning of our relationship, my boyfriend and I camped all the time. Mainly because I was shy and was avoiding at all costs to meet his family and vice versa so we never stayed at his house or mine. We always pitched a tent somewhere like we were homeless. So it brought back a wave of feelings and made me appreciate where and who we are today more.

I love road trips with my boyfriend. I think it's so romantic being able to blast music together, windows down, singing and spilling junk food, complaining, some whining, with my feet on the dashboard. And he's a champ for being able to stand me during long drives. I'm sure I'm plenty obnoxious but all in good fun. And the best part is we make plenty of stops to enjoy the scenery.

Yosemite was so surreal as always stunning in every direction. The road there is just breathtaking. We hiked the Vernal Falls/Mist Trail and did a loop back using the John Muir trail. And where we parked a tree fell over just 3 cars over on our right! So lucky for us but unfortunate for that one car that caved in from it.

One of my goals is to one day backpack Yosemite and take the backcountry way so to avoid the throngs of tourists and to have a more individual experience. But it was still an incredible time. Nature is just so wondrous and healing. It really brings people together and one thing I believe our society can universally agree on is how beautiful our Earth can be.

Our next weekend camping was at Point Reyes Seashore. We went into the small towns and found some great food, went to an oyster bar, and bought some pesto pasta two days in a row. I didn't realize I had booked a campsite that was a hike to meaning it was a 1.5mi hike to get to our campground. And being that it was later in the day and we were also lazy, we crashed at some other campground.

We visited Point Reyes Lighthouse and then Drake's Beach to see elephant seals but didn't see any here. We saw them at another lookout though. 

I made two short videos on our camping trips that can be found on my instagram. I'm starting to document our trips more this way before my boyfriend leaves for boot camp because it captures my feelings better. This summer love of mine is so sweet and warm; it'll hurt my heart when he goes but I won't think of it until the day comes. So many more memories to have together until then.


Already thinking of our next road trip! Zion National Park or Yellowstone maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment